What is Expedited Reinstatement (EXR)?

Posted July 21, 2017 by Premier Disability Services, LLC®

If your benefits ended because you worked and had earnings, you can request that your benefits start again without having to complete a new application. While the Social Security Administration (SSA) determines whether you can receive benefits again, they can give you provisional (temporary) benefits for up to 6 months. This is called an Expedited Reinstatement (EXR).

You may qualify for EXR if you:

i.   Stopped receiving benefits because of earnings from work,

ii.   Are unable to work or perform substantial gainful activity,

iii.   Are disabled because of an impairment(s) that is the same as or related to the impairment(s) that allowed you to get benefits earlier, and

iv.   Make the request within 5 years from the month your benefits ended.

Provisional benefits can be paid when you request EXR. This will include cash payments and Medicare/Medicaid coverage. They usually do not have to be paid back if the SSA denies your request. Provisional payments are paid for up to six months, but will end sooner if you:

i.    Are notified of an EXR decision,

ii.   Engage in SGA, or

iii.   Reach full retirement age.

If you or someone you know are unable to work due to a medical condition, please contact us for a free case evaluation!

Source: https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityresearch/wi/exr.htm ; https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/hallex/I-02/I-2-2-100.html

By: Joyce Trudeau of Premier Disability Services, LLC®